Revaluation Method of Depreciation:
Define and explain the revaluation method of depreciation.
When and where this method is used?
As the name implies under revaluation method, the assets are valued at the end of each period so that the difference between the old value and the new value, which represents the actual depreciation can be charged against the profit and loss account. This method is mostly used in case of assets like bottles, horses, packages, loose tools, casks etc. On rare occasions when on revaluation the value of an asset is found to have increased, it being of temporary nature not taken into account.
Revaluation method is open to various objections.
Firstly, the method do not specify as to which is the value that the experts are to estimate at the end of each year. It however appears that this is the market value. If so, to assess depreciation with reference to market value is against the basic principles and theory of depreciation. A fixed asset has nothing to do with market value.
Secondly, the charge against profit and loss account on account of depreciation will vary year to year through the asset renders the same service throughout of its life time.
Thirdly, this method is unscientific, because there are great chance of manipulations.
You may also be interested in other articles from “accounting for depreciation” chapter:
- Definition and Explanation of Depreciation
- Causes of Depreciation
- Need for Depreciation
- Depreciation, Depletion and Amortization
- Difference Between Depreciation and Fluctuation
- Basic Factors of Determination of Depreciation
- Depreciation Methods / Methods for Providing Depreciation
- Fixed Installment Method / Straight Line Method / Original Cost Method
- Diminishing balance/written Down Value/Reducing Installment Method of Depreciation
- Annuity Method of Depreciation
- Depreciation Fund Method or Sinking Fund Method
- Insurance Policy Method of Depreciation
- Revaluation Method of Depreciation
- Sum of the Years’ Digits Method of Depreciation
- Double Declining Balance Method of Depreciation
- Depletion Method of Depreciation
- Basis of Use System of Depreciation
- Depreciation Of Various Assets
- Depreciation Accounting – General Questions and Answers
Other Related Accounting Articles:
- Definition, Explanation and Characteristics of “Depreciation” or “Accounting Depreciation
- Income Statement Definition
- Half-Year Convention Definition
- Accounting for Non-Trading Concerns
- Accounting Concepts
- Account Analysis Definition
- Market Price Definition
- Modified Accelerated Cost Recovery System (MACRS) Definition
- Depreciation Tax Shield Definition
- First In First Out (FIFO) – Materials and Inventory Costing Method
Download E accounting book in MS-word format for just 20 $ - Click here to Download